Getting rid of chewing gum out of jeans is not frustrating. This problem can be solved with special stain removers.
Simple home remedies compete with them. However, when using them, you must strictly follow the instructions for using folk recipes and household chemicals.
How to get chewing gum out of jeans, even well-dried or smeared, from jeans at home, we will tell in the article.
How To Get Chewing Gum Out Of Jeans? Home remedies
Before proceeding with gum removal from jeans, you should be familiar with the characteristics of effective and safe home remedies.
At the same time, such a criterion as the distinctive features of denim fibers and the nuances of the influence of the methods used on them is essential.
The increased durability of denim material allows the use of a variety of methods, sometimes completely opposite effects. An example of this is the use of cold or high temperatures.
It should be noted that it is useless to try to remove gum from denim with even the most versatile detergents. Whereas under the influence of ice or boiling water, the gum leaves without much effort and has negative consequences for the appearance of the fabric.
You may like How To Get Acrylic Paint Out Of Clothes?
Get Chewing Gum Out Of Jeans with cold methods
The chewing gum composition is susceptible to low temperatures. Under their influence, the structure of the adhesive changes. The gum becomes brittle and can be easily peeled off denim.
Below are several options for cold treatments. They provide for the preliminary removal of as much of the Velcro as possible with tweezers or simply with your fingers.
The method differs not only in originality but also in inefficiency. The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Fold the jeans neatly into a plastic bag. It is important that the adhering mass is on top, but not in contact with the bag.
- Place the bag with jeans in the freezer so that it does not come into contact with the walls of the freezer.
- Leave the jeans in the chamber for 30 minutes.
- Once the gum freezes, it can be easily removed from the tissue.
- Clean the remaining fragments with a stiff-bristled brush.
The procedure can be repeated if necessary. After removing the remnants of chewing gum, the jeans are washed in the usual way by hand or in an automatic machine.
Wipe away traces with ice water
The method is applicable provided it is possible to maintain a low water temperature for a long time. Therefore, it is recommended to use it in winter, when the container with water can be taken out to the balcony or just outside.
The essence of the method is to immerse the damaged area of the jeans in ice water. In it, the tissue is kept for at least 30 minutes, that is, until the gum is completely hardened.
Then the brittle gum crumbs are removed with a brush. The product is washed with any washing powder, followed by a thorough rinse.
Easier to use a stream of ice water from the tap. It is enough to direct it to the chewing gum. Remove hardened fragments with the blunt side of a knife.
If it is not possible to load jeans into the freezer, it is enough to use ice. This is a more gentle method, during which the freezing affects a small area without affecting the condition of all the clothes.
The removal technique involves the following steps:
- Pre-freeze ice cubes.
- An ice cube wrapped in gauze or napkin is applied to the affected area. For convenience, you can hold it with tweezers.
- Place a piece of cardboard or a small plate under the fabric from the inside out. In addition to convenience, this will prevent the elastic from penetrating into other layers of clothing.
- As the ice melts, the cubes are changed until the gum is completely hardened.
Further actions are performed similarly to the previous recipe. The procedure is effective when processing jeans immediately after the stain is detected.
Peel off using a freezing spray
An extremely fast method is freezing with a spray used to cool areas of the body. It can be purchased at the pharmacy.
The spray is sprayed directly onto the gum, which is easily scraped off with a spatula or scraper as it freezes.
Cold cleaning treatments are effective provided the described steps are carried out as soon as possible after the gum has adhered.
Remove off chewing gum with high temperatures
The exact opposite method is characterized by fairly high efficiency in eliminating pollution. The sticky mass is cleaned off quickly and without traces.
Wash with boiling water
Most of the chewing gum should be removed from trousers before cooking. This will prevent the penetration of the components of the stain into the deep layers of the fabric during softening.
The use of boiling water requires special care during work. It is more convenient and safer to carry out the procedure together.
- install a colander on an empty large saucepan;
- place a piece of fabric with a stain in a colander;
- bring water to a boil (preferably in a kettle);
- one participant pours hot water onto the chewing gum with a thin stream;
- the second cleans it with a brush.
If there is no partner, another method will work. You will have to dip your jeans in hot water and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then peel off the gum as described above.
It is possible to soften the sticky consistency with the help of an ironing board and an iron. Instead, you can place a wooden cutting board under a hard-to-reach area.
Thermal procedure algorithm:
- Position the jeans so that the gum is on the board.
- On both sides, protect the damaged tissue with a napkin, paper, pieces of rags.
- Apply a hot iron to the gum covered with paper, hold until the gum softens.
- Remove sticky substance from jeans with tweezers.
After such treatment, the item should be washed immediately in hot water and dishwashing detergent. This step is necessary to remove greasy gum residues.
A hot air jet has a similar effect on pollution. There are some nuances of hairdryer processing:
- the air with the highest possible temperature must be directed to the fabric from the inside out;
- as the gum softens, it should be immediately removed from the denim material, first with tweezers, then with a blunt knife;
- repeat heating, then scrape off the remains with a chewing hard brush.
Thermal treatments are best done before cold treatments. Freezing and ice curing works well if the gum is not completely cleaned from the fabric after using boiling water, an iron, and a hairdryer.
Remove chewing gum from jeans with household Remedies
Chewing gum is characterized by its ability to firmly adhere to tissue, penetrating into its structure. The most difficult thing to remove is chronic tissue damage with chewing gum. In such a situation, you have to use more aggressive methods of influence.
Remove with vinegar
The method differs not only in the aggressiveness of the effect on the tissue but also in the likelihood of harm to health. Vinegar vapors can negatively affect the respiratory system, the product itself is dangerous for the skin of the hands.
Therefore, it is recommended to carry out the procedure in a ventilated area and with the observance of precautions, using rubber gloves, a respirator, or a mask.
- Pour 0.5 L of table vinegar into a small ceramic or glass dish.
- Steam or microwave.
- Soak a napkin or a piece of rag in vinegar, having previously tested its reaction to the reagent.
- If the color of the material used is stable, wet it in the composition and rub the damaged area.
- After wetting the napkin again, leave it on the chewing gum for 1 – 2 minutes. The vinegar resistance test should also be done on denim.
- Remove the dissolved gum fragments with the tip of a knife or nail file, brush the surface with a brush.
Wash jeans normally. It is important to wash immediately after gum removal.
Clean with solvents
Acetone, gasoline, alcohol are excellent solvents for the sticky mass. However, their use can negatively affect the condition of the denim material. Therefore, it is not dangerous to use them without preliminary testing.
It is easy to check the resistance of a fabric to chemical compounds. To do this, rub an inconspicuous area of the jeans with a cotton pad dipped in the solution.
In addition to the test, you should strictly follow the instructions:
- Removing the stain with acetone . The damaged area is wiped with a cotton swab dipped in acetone. It is important not to go beyond the boundaries of the treated area. Otherwise, streaks appear on the fabric. After softening the gum, remove its remnants with a brush or coarse material.
- The use of gasoline . This method should be used last when other methods have not helped.With all its effectiveness, in addition to the likelihood of staining after removing the stain, a pungent smell remains on the jeans, which is difficult to get rid of.The elastic is removed from the fabric very easily. It is enough to drip a few drops of gasoline on it and after a couple of minutes it is removed simply with tweezers or fingers.
- Using ammonia . The popularity of the method is due to its simplicity and effectiveness. A napkin moistened with ammonia or a cosmetic disc is applied to the gum. After half an hour, it is easily removed by rubbing with a toothbrush.
When using chemicals, it is necessary to take into account the likelihood of a negative effect on the fabric. In addition, the likelihood of developing an allergic reaction to them is high.
The easiest but equally effective way to remove chewing gum from denim is with chewing gum. Having chewed a new gum, you need to stick it on the one that has dried to your jeans and quickly pull it back. A similar method is using scotch tape. The manipulations with the tape are repeated until the final removal of the gum.
Each method is good in itself. However, with old pollution, you have to resort to several of the considered methods.
Precaution in removing chewing gum from jeans
Removing stains from fabric always carries a high risk of permanent damage to the product. Therefore, the use of improvised means, as well as special stain removers, presupposes strict adherence to precautions.
Precaution in removing chewing gum from jeans:
- violation of instructions for the use of home remedies and household chemicals;
- careless use of chemical ingredients;
- carelessness of using boiling water, vinegar and other aggressive components;
- ignoring recommendations on the need to use a respirator and rubber gloves in contact with household chemicals and improvised materials that can cause burns, suffocation or an allergic reaction;
- elimination of the use of sharp objects for removing gum, as well as intensive mechanical impact on tissue.
Violation of the listed aspects leads to at least a violation of the structure of the fabric, its discoloration, and sometimes to the final damage of the thing.
Ignoring the rules for the application of methods and methods of processing jeans can cause burns to the skin, eyes, respiratory tract. Some substances can cause allergies.
Useful Tips in removing chewing gum
Observance of simple rules will help to achieve a positive result. When starting to process denim materials from chewing gum, you should take into account their features.
- the freezing method is suitable for woolen and synthetic products;
- you can remove the Velcro from dense jeans with organic solvents, aggressive substances and intense mechanical stress;
- if there is no result from one method, you can try another;
- preliminary testing of the fabric will prevent possible changes in the structure of the fabric and discoloration during hot processing and freezing.
Observance of precautions and useful recommendations will allow you to avoid mistakes when removing the sticky substance. And also eliminates the need to go to dry cleaning.
Read More Guides
Finding chewing gum on jeans is not a cause for despair. A favorite thing can be fixed using simple and effective means.
The main thing is to carefully read the recommendations to get chewing gum out of Jeans with use of improvised means and special stain removers, and also strictly follow them. The result of painstaking work will be the return of the original freshness of jeans without damaging the fabric.