Caustic soda among analogs soda ash and baking soda is the most aggressive variety. But subject to the precautions recommended by experts, this substance is effectively used to solve fairly complex domestic problems.
Let discuss the uses of caustic soda in household daily life routine.
Characteristics Of For Caustic Soda
The chemical formula of the caustic soda NaOH, which is widespread in everyday life, indicates that it belongs to the varieties of the most powerful alkalis. It is also known by several other names. Caustic sounds more often, caustic soda is found, less often the name is used sodium hydroxide.
It is a white solid. In powder state, it looks like flaky miniature granules. They are practically devoid of a specific smell.
The caustic is hygroscopic. It dissolves easily in water. Directly, in this case, a reaction occurs with the release of a significant amount of heat. The resulting solution is soapy to the touch.
Produced in powder, liquid form. Sodium hydroxide, in addition to industrial sectors, is widely practiced to solve some domestic problems. Along with the effectiveness, the funds are attracted by an affordable price.
Best uses of caustic soda in household daily life
Considering that caustic soda is a rather aggressive alkaline variety, it has been assigned an increased second hazard class.
The maximum allowed shelf life is one year. After this period, properties are lost. Store the substance in sealed non-metallic containers in a cool, unlit place. In the process of using caustic soda, it is necessary to wear personal protective equipment: a special mask that protects the respiratory system, glasses, durable rubber gloves.
In case of accidental splashing on mucous membranes, immediately rinse them with clean water. The skin is treated with table vinegar, dissolved in a ratio of 1: 5 in water.
uses of caustic soda in Blockage control
It is the best from Uses Of Caustic Soda In Household Daily Life. At home, the sewage system is often clogged and it is required to apply a variety of methods to eliminate them.
To cope with this problem, caustic soda is used effectively. This type of alkali easily dissolves fatty deposits of any age.
caustic soda Solution recipe
For cooking, a metal bucket is used, into which 7 liters of cold water are poured. Add caustic soda. It is recommended to take 3 kg of powder for the sewage of a suburban structure, 2 kg is enough for apartment conditions. Mix thoroughly, taking into account that when heat is released, the liquid boils, and splashes appear. Therefore, when carrying out the actions for dissolution, they move a little to the side. Use a long wooden stick to stir.
When the reaction ends, the composition can be used if the pipes are cast iron or metal. Caustic is not suitable for plastic analogs, since it is capable of deforming the walls.
- 3.5 liters of the resulting solution are poured into the drain hole. This part of the procedure is carried out carefully, excluding splashes on the surface of the sink, bath, floor, since enamel or ceramic tiles can be damaged by alkali.
- Withstand three hours.
- Then the remaining 3.5 liters of solution are poured.
- Leave for another three hours. For the entire processing time, plumbing is not used.
- At the final stage, a strong pressure of water is turned on and pipes are spilled for 15 minutes.
With a slight blockage in the apartment, you can perform the procedure in one go, pouring the entire prepared solution at once and holding it for three hours before rinsing
Dry uses of caustic soda for drain blockage
Using caustic soda without first dissolving is considered to be more efficient.
It is used for disinfection of sewers, prevention of blockages, and is also carried out after it has been used to cleanse acid. It is not recommended to process heavily worn pipes using this technique, as they can be damaged. Algorithm of actions:
- Hot water is poured into the drain about 2.5 liters in order to warm the surface of the pipes.
- Take soda in powder form 3 tbsp. l. and carefully pour into the hole through a paper funnel. Care should be taken to ensure that alkali particles do not fall on the surface of the plumbing.
- Pour out 300 ml of hot water.
- They wait three hours.
During this period of time, the reaction is completely finished. The pipes are washed with a powerful pressure of water.
Using caustic soda gel
Sodium hydroxide in liquid or gel form is less dangerous and more convenient to use, but it must be borne in mind that it shows a low result when removing blockages. It is advisable to use it for the purpose of prophylaxis, repeating the cleansing procedures in a month.
- The container with the gel is thoroughly shaken without opening the lid.
- Measure out a glass of the product.
- Poured into the drain, protecting the enamel surfaces from drops of cleaning agent.
- Heated water is poured in an average of 250 ml.
- Leave for three hours.
At the final stage, at the end of the allotted time interval at maximum pressure, the sewage system is washed with hot water for 15 minutes, washing away all decomposed particles of contamination.
Recommended for you Kitchen Sink Clogged Tried Everything.
uses of caustic soda in suburban area
For gardeners and residents of country houses, caustic soda helps to disinfect and save plants from pests.
Before using caustic soda to clean the sump, make sure that it is sealed and equipped with a properly functioning ventilation system. This excludes the ingress of caustic into the soil, which has a negative impact on its structure and nutritional characteristics.
A little more than half the volume of water is poured into a twelve-liter bucket. With vigorous stirring, add 2 kg of caustic soda with a wooden spatula. After the end of the intense heat release, the liquid composition is poured into the pit. Repeat this procedure two times.
how does sodium hydroxide kill bacteria?
A solution of caustic soda allows you to destroy pathogenic bacteria and fungal colonies, therefore it is used to disinfect barns, chicken coops, greenhouses before planting, cellars on the eve of laying vegetables.
Prepare a 2% solution using a bulk barrel. Pour 50 liters of water, stir a kilogram of soda. All surfaces are irrigated, consuming a liter of prepared liquid for every square meter.
caustic soda uses in agriculture
In order to combat and prevent the development of infectious diseases and the colonization of harmful insects, horticultural crops are treated with soda compositions.
Take 10 tbsp for 20 liters of cold water. l. sodium hydroxide. When the liquid cools down, the crowns are irrigated in the evening hours in calm weather.
Read also Cleaning Pipe With Vinegar And Baking Soda.
for Cleaning dishes
Given the effective cleaning effect of caustic soda, housewives use it to remove very stubborn dirt from dishes. It should be borne in mind that you cannot process aluminum and Teflon kitchen utensils with this product.
Suitable for cast iron, enameled, and steel varieties that achieve perfect cleanliness. Algorithm of actions:
- Take a voluminous metal container. Pour 10 liters of water.
- Add caustic 200 g.
- Thin shavings obtained from grinding one bar of laundry soap are poured.
- Stationery glue (also called “liquid glass”) is introduced 150 ml.
- Mix thoroughly and immerse the dishes.
- The container is placed on the stove. With slow heating after boiling, stand for two hours.
- Thoroughly rinse the cleaned utensils with cool water.
You can use this technique to effectively remove old greasy dirt from plates. But they should be boiled for 10 minutes.
making soap with caustic soda
It is the last use in our list of Uses Of Caustic Soda In Household Daily Life. Many housewives prefer to use self-made soap. It is safer as it uses quality and proven components.
- Vegetable oil 500 ml is poured into an enamel saucepan and slightly heated.
- Caustic soda 70 g and distilled water 150 ml are combined in a separate earthenware dish.
- After the end of the violent reaction, the soda solution is poured into oil. Stir with a wooden spatula until the caustic is completely dissolved.
- After receiving a rather thick homogeneous mass, the aromatic herbs pounded into powder are introduced 2 tbsp. l. or essential oil with your favorite scent 5 drops.
- Pour the gel-like substance into a low container, preferably rectangular. Place in a dry place.
- Four days later, using a sharp knife, carefully cut the resulting soap, forming pieces of the desired size, and leave to ripen.
The readiness of the soap is determined by the whitish bloom that appears on the surface. The process lasts up to one and a half months. Homemade soaps, with impressive cleansing properties, foam well and undoubtedly have a pleasant aroma.
Read More guides