Sometimes you may notice that the water from the sink does not go well. This is due to clogging of the drain with fat, food debris, or other waste.
Also, various foreign solids in the pipe lead to serious damage to the drain. You can use household as homemade drain cleaner with baking soda and how to do that let discuss.
Where do most drain clogs occur?
The kitchen sink always comes first. Residual fat and food end up in the drain. Even the nets do not help, so watch out when you wash the dishes.
After the kitchen, the most clogged is the bathroom drain. This is most often due to a large amount of hair in the pipe or other debris.
But the toilet gets clogged much less often, only when large bags, rags, personal hygiene products get in.
Cleaning methods can be divided into two categories:
- Mechanical. To break through the drain, use: plunger, plumbing cable, ruff, wire.
- Chemical. This includes various synthetic products. These can be specialized commercial formulations or homemade mixtures.
The sink or toilet needs to be cleaned urgently if the water drains slowly or stagnates altogether.
Otherwise, it bodes well. There are some tips on how to make do with the “small sacrifices”. That is, look in the drawer, there is soda in the same place!
Homemade Drain Cleaner With Baking Soda
Of course, you can call a plumber, he will eliminate this little nuisance. But then you have to shell out a decent amount. But you can do it on your own.
Sodium bicarbonate is in every home, but few people know about its use in pipe cleaning.
Benefits of using baking soda as drain cleaner:
- An affordable tool available in every home.
- Low price. Factory remedies are much more expensive than regular baking soda and vinegar.
- Ease of use. Both the woman and the man will cope with this task. The main thing is to keep children away from chemicals.
- This method is suitable for the bathroom sink, kitchen, toilet.
There are a lot of methods for removing blockage with soda. You can pour sodium bicarbonate with vinegar, citric acid. Sometimes mixed with salt, baking soda alone is used.
Recipe 1: Homemade Drain Cleaner With Baking Soda and boiling water
What we need:
- boiling water.
- First, we clean the drain with a regular rag to remove the debris.
- Next, pour a liter of boiling water, wait about half an hour.
- After the expiration of the time, we take the plunger, clean the drain.
- After the performed procedures, we use ordinary baking soda.
- It should be a solution of baking soda and boiling water in a ratio of 1: 3.
- Fill in liquid. We are waiting for a few hours. For reliability, you can leave it overnight.
This method is good because the pipes are cleaned and disinfected.
Recipe 2: Baking soda with vinegar
- sodium bicarbonate (about half of the pack);
- 70% vinegar (vinegar essence) – twice as much as sodium bicarbonate or 9% vinegar, then multiply the amount of baking soda by 16.
- Wash and dry the sink before proceeding.
- First, fill in sodium bicarbonate, then fill it with vinegar.
- For the best effect, cover the drain hole with a rag and leave the sink for two hours.
- After the time has elapsed, rinse the pipe by pouring boiling water into it.
Recipe 3: soda baking and vinegar for kitchen drain clogging
We use soda, vinegar for the toilet. You can use the same solutions you use to clean your kitchen sink.
But pay attention, it will not work to close the hole, so you need to clean the drain carefully. Otherwise, you will have to remove the foam from the floor, do a general cleaning of the room.
Recommended for you How To Clean Carpet With Baking Soda And Vinegar?
Recipe 4: Baking soda with table salt
For cleaning, you can use sodium bicarbonate with table salt. Take half a glass of baking soda powder, salt, pour into the drain, pour boiling water.
Leave the sink for 8-10 hours (it is best done overnight).
But such a mixture is not recommended for cleaning the toilet bowl.
Use caustic soda as Anti-clogging agent
Not every home has such a product. It is rarely bought without special need. But if it is available, it will come in handy to remove the blockage.
You will need:
- caustic soda (2-4 kg);
- water (5-7 l);
- durable plastic bucket;
- a spatula or scoop made of plastic;
- latex or rubber gloves.
- Put on gloves.
- Using a spatula, pour caustic soda into the bucket.
- Fill with water, stir. The crystals should dissolve completely.
- Pour the mixture into the pipe.
During mixing, a chemical reaction occurs, the liquid heats up to about 60-70 degrees. This can be intimidating for some people the first time. But believe me, such a reaction is absolutely normal.
how to keep drains clear naturally?
Sink clogging can be avoided. Preventive measures are not difficult. Here are some simple tips (especially for women and those who wash hamster toilets in the sink).
- Take sodium bicarbonate, vinegar in the same proportions as for cleaning pipes. Add soda, add acid, turn on hot water.
- Use a sink mesh to keep food, grease, and hair out of the drain.
- Make sure that no large debris falls into the drain hole.
Do such procedures once a week, especially in summer. During this period, the drains are clogged more often than in winter.
You can also open hot water, let it escape a little. This will help prevent blockages in the pipes.
drain cleaning tips By experts
However, there are factors that must be taken into account when cleaning pipes:
- This can be hazardous to health. This refers to caustic soda. Therefore, be sure to follow safety measures, including gloves, mask.
- It can take a long time to remove stubborn dirt. Very often about 10 hours, sometimes the procedure needs to be repeated several times.
- Before filling in the soda, make sure that the pipes are strong enough for the procedure, and the material from which they are made does not deteriorate under the influence of a chemical reaction.
- If you have cleaned the pipes with purchased products, then sodium bicarbonate and vinegar are prohibited. This can lead to unexpected reactions. It is better to wait a day so that the store substance has time to wash off.
Read More Guide at DailyHouseCleaning
Choose the best and easily available homemade drain cleaner with baking soda recipe from the above section. You carefully and bother expert advice in selection and cleaning of drains to prevent damages.