If you find rust at home, then undoubtedly the first question arose before you: how to get rid of it?
The problem is that it is difficult for a person to make a choice because manufacturers offer a wide range of remedies to get rid of it.
Due to the fact that many of them are toxic and have a high cost, then you risk damaging your health and throwing money down the drain.
There is an effective, safe option to remove rust with baking soda from any surface and place of home.
How To Remove Rust With Baking Soda? From different surfaces
Early detection of rust ensures an easy fight against rust. If there is a strong rusty coating, then you can remove it with the help of home remedies based on baking soda.
Baking soda is a harmless cleanser.
- In the fight against corrosion, baking soda is mixed with water to obtain a creamy paste, applied to surfaces damaged by corrosion.
- When the paste is dry, you need to take a toothbrush, aluminum foil and wipe the treated surface thoroughly.
- If the rust is not completely removed, then repeat the procedure until the corrosion is completely cleaned.
remove rust on metal with baking soda
Quite often, metal products are subject to rusting. This occurs when the metal comes into contact with moisture or as a result of mechanical damage.
You can stop corrosion with a baking soda home remedy. Mix the powder with water so that a pasty mass is obtained.
Spread the resulting paste over the damaged areas, leave for 20 minutes. Remove the product with a non-metal brush and then rinse the treated surface with water.
There are always potatoes at home, but not many people know that they are quite effective in eliminating iron oxides.
To apply the method, it is necessary to cut the potatoes into halves, grease them with a soda mixture, rub the damaged areas, and stand for a couple of hours to increase the result.
Recommended for you Uses Of Caustic Soda In Household Daily Life.
Baking soda to remove rust on bicycle
Storing your bike in wet conditions will cause corrosion on it.
If nevertheless, it was not possible to save the “iron friend” from the appearance of yellow spots, then it is necessary to clean it.
The proven method of using soda will help to “defeat” corrosion. Pour baking soda into a bowl, add water until a mushy consistency is obtained.
Apply consistency to the area of rust, rub in with a sponge or aluminum foil, then rinse with water.
clean kettle from rust with baking soda
Rusty sediment inside the kettle is formed due to the use of poor-quality hard water containing a certain amount of mineral salts and trace elements.
Not everyone can afford to put cleaning filters, so you have to pour such water into the kettle.
The appearance of rust in the kettle leads to the fact that:
- the taste of water spoils;
- the heating time of the spiral of the electrical device increases;
- as a result, the device is thrown out.
You can get rid of iron oxides and eliminate unpleasant odors with baking soda.
A solution of baking soda (NaHCO3) in a proportion of 1 teaspoon of powder per 1 liter of water is poured into a kettle and then boiled. Next, pour out the solution, wipe it with a sponge. If the rust persists, repeat the procedure.
use soda to get rid of rust on clothes
The appearance of rusty stains on clothes is a problem because they are not so easy to remove.
The reasons for the appearance of stains are:
- drying things on the battery;
- improper washing;
- metal benches, swings on the street.
To remove rust stains from colored clothes, 400 ml is needed. dilute warm filtered water: 100 gr. table extra salt, 10 gr. baking soda and 50 ml. 9% vinegar.
With the resulting mixture, treat the places where rusty spots have appeared, leave for 30-40 minutes. Then rinse the mixture from clothes with water, then wash in a washing machine at a temperature not exceeding 30 degrees.
Baking soda to remove rust in toilet
Rust tends to penetrate deep into the enamel, giving the toilet a disgusting appearance and creating an unpleasant odor in the room. The reasons for its appearance may be improper toilet care or hard water.
In the fight against rusting, simple soda can cope, and without harming the enamel and human health. The following method is used quite often:
- We heat a glass of 70% vinegar essence to a temperature of 45 degrees, add 1 tablespoon of soda to it.
- We apply the prepared product to the damaged areas of the toilet for 10-12 hours, then rinse it off.
- If necessary, repeat the procedure until the rust is completely eliminated.
- Or pour half a glass of soda into the toilet, pour vinegar on top, leave for 20-30 minutes. After the time has elapsed, we clean it with a brush.
If there is no vinegar essence, you can use 9% vinegar, but in addition, you will need to add a few drops of iodine.
Read also How To Clean Oven Racks With Ammonia?
rust in bath
In any hostess, one day the bathtub becomes covered with rusty spots, this is due to the poor water supply.
The following effective home method will help from unwanted stains and streaks: soda ash is applied to the contaminated surface of the bath for half an hour and then washed off with water.
If the corrosion damage is quite severe, then a little vinegar and whiteness can be added to the soda.
The next method will help to return the dazzling whiteness of an enamel bath without much effort.
It is important to apply the layers in a strict sequence:
- 1 layer: Mix 2 tablespoons of bicarbonate with the same amount of
soda ash and water until a thick slurry is formed. Apply the mixture to the damaged areas of the bath. Leave it on for half an hour.
- 2nd layer: 1/3 cup 70% vinegar mix with any liquid bleach.
Apply carefully over the first coat without damaging it. Leave it on for another 20 minutes.
When the ingredients mixed with each other interact, the necessary chemical reaction is obtained, which relieves the bath from rusting.
For acrylic and metal baths, you can use the following recipe: Mix 6 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 tablespoon of baking soda, heat to 70 degrees.
Apply the resulting solution with a sponge rubbing in yellowed areas. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
Important! Do not overuse home remedies to combat corrosion, as they tend to thin the enamel.
Soda Ash as anti rust
Metal products can be treated with soda ash from rusting.
Using this cleaning method, it is not difficult to whiten a yellowed cast-iron bath: grind the laundry soap into a bowl on a grater, add soda ash in a 1 to 1 ratio.
Before applying the cleansing paste, rinse the bath, treat with the product. Leave for an hour and then rinse with water.
Using baking soda in electrolysis method to remove rust
Unlike mechanical methods of action, the electrolytic method removes only rusting without affecting the “living” metal.
Electrolytic cleaning includes the following sequence of actions:
- Take a plastic tub and fill it halfway with warm water.
- Add a few small tablespoons of caustic soda or salt to the water.
- Take a battery charger.
- Connect an electrode a metal plate to the positive conductor marked with a “+” symbol.
- Connect the part to be cleaned to the minus “-“.
- First, lower the metal plate serving as an electrode, then place the part to be cleaned so that it does not touch the metal plate during electrolytic cleaning and apply a current of 4-6 amps.
- Leave it on for half an hour or more.
- Turn off the electricity, remove the cleaned part.
If there are residues of corrosion on the parts, it is easy to wipe them off with a brush or coarse sponge. The prepared solution can be drained into a container until the next use.
Read More Guides
There are easy and best ways to remove rust with baking soda from everything at the house. Choose the easy and suitable option for you.