Socks always get dirty quickly, especially white ones. Stains and dirt on them are more noticeable, and from frequent washing, they turn yellow. Because of this, hostesses are constantly looking for new options for effectively bleaching this garment at home.
Such a simple remedy to whiten socks with baking soda and also to your favorite things, be sure to try it as bleach.
How To Whiten Socks With Baking Soda?
Vanish and other store products for removing stains do not always cope with dirt, but they cost a lot. Many housewives go back to old, tried-and-true methods and wash things with baking soda. These grandma’s ways really work.
baking Soda and ammonia work wonders
Both funds baking soda and ammonia are always present in every apartment. Soda, together with ammonia, removes yellowness and softens the water at the same time.
baking Soda and ammonia recipes:
- For every 10 volumes of warm water, take 2 volumes of hydrogen peroxide, pour 1 volume of ammonia into the solution.
- Take 2 tbsp. l. ammonia and perhydrol, add 5 liters of water to the mixture.
- For half a bucket of hot water (almost boiling water), add 6 tbsp. l. rock salt or baking soda, plus 2 tbsp. l. ammonia.
- Add 1 tablespoon for every 2 liters of water. ammonia.
To return your socks to a snow-white color, you need to prepare one of these solutions, soak your clothes in it, and then wash by hand or in a washing machine, after turning things inside out.
Recommended for you How To Clean White Sneakers With Baking Soda?
Hydrogen peroxide combined with baking soda
One of the effective means for returning the pristine whiteness of socks is hydrogen peroxide with a concentration of 3% in combination with soda.
These mixtures will remove various stains and dirt from white wardrobe items:
- If the socks are not uniformly white, but only partially, then it is not recommended to soak them entirely in perhydrol. It is necessary to apply the solution only in bright areas. To do this, you need to take a little toothpaste, add 1 tsp to it. perhydrol and a little soda, you should get a viscous mass. It is distributed over problem areas for 7-10 minutes, and then washed.
- To remove fresh and stubborn stains, use hydrogen peroxide in combination with baking soda. Take 2 liters of hot water, practically boiling, add a tablespoon of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to it. Dip white socks in the solution for 10 minutes and wash. Drying is best turned inside out.
If things are made of wool, they must be shaken out before washing so that there is less dust in them. Such clothes can only be washed by hand and not twisted.
Whiten Socks With Baking Soda and vinegar
Stains from vegetable sauces, tomato paste, or red wines, juices are considered to be quite complex stains.
Before throwing away spoiled things, it is worth trying a miracle cure based on soda and 9% vinegar, which is available in the kitchen of every housewife. This blend will brighten your socks and will also help remove stains from tablecloths and carpets.
All you have to do is sprinkle the baking soda on the spot and then pour plenty of vinegar over it. While the mixture fizzes and foams, rub the stain from the center to its contour. In this state, the thing is left to dry and then rinsed. The described cleaning method cannot be used for silk and wool.
Boiling with soda
No matter how joking the advertisement of washing powders may be about the fact that boiling is an old and unnecessary method, it is much more effective than most modern chemicals. It is the digestion of clothes with the addition of baking soda that helps keep white socks in perfect condition. If the “standard” wash and prolonged soaking have not removed the stains, the clothes should be boiled.
For digestion, a similar solution made from soda with ammonia, as described above, is useful. If the socks are very dirty and there are old, dried spots on them, then it is better to soak such things for 1-2 hours in the prepared liquid, and only then boil.
Bleaching with baking soda and vegetable oil
Socks are the things that get dirty the most, especially if kids are wearing them. It is very difficult for them to regain their original whiteness due to grease stains, traces of berries, fruits, chocolate.
To whiten socks at home, you need to prepare the following ingredients:
- refined oil;
- soda (regular baking soda);
- any powder for washing;
- free-flowing bleach.
Pour boiling water into a basin and add 3 tablespoons of these substances each, stir and soak things overnight. In the morning, send the socks to the washing machine. This method is wonderful in that all the substances for removing heavy stains are available in every apartment.
A baking soda and vegetable oil-based cleaner work great on tea towels.
Recommended for you How To Get Grease Out Of Suede Shoes?
Advantages of Whiten Socks With Baking Soda
The simplest baking soda, when used correctly, gives such an excellent result that housewives who have tried this method abandon the advertised products forever. Why is she so good?
Advantages of Whiten Socks With Baking Soda:
- Does not cause allergies. This product is suitable for cleaning baby clothes as it does not contain any chemicals other than sodium bicarbonate. There are no fragrances in it, unlike powders that can provoke allergies.
- This universal detergent is useful for washing various things with all kinds of dirt.
- Nice price. Compared to the much-hyped bleaches, baking soda costs a penny and is sold in any store.
- The ability to prepare a bleaching composition for yourself, depending on the degree and nature of the pollution, the type of fabric.
The substance is suitable both as a stand-alone cleaning agent and as an additive to conventional powders. Often the granules are added (2-3 tablespoons) to the washing machine. This trick helps to restore things to their original appearance, which they have lost due to numerous washes.
Baking soda is also suitable for cleaning baby clothes. Add 2 tbsp for one bucket of water. l. granules and mix thoroughly. It is recommended to keep socks in such a mixture for 2-3 hours.
Baking soda isn’t the only option that comes in handy for cleaning. Calcined is also good, it contains more alkaline components, because of this, its effectiveness is higher. It is often called washing or linen.
Soda ash has a big plus. It consists in the fact that the agent significantly softens the water, which is important when operating washing machines. With such an additive, the technique will last longer, since no scale will form.
The substance is best used for bleaching and washing synthetic fabrics, linen, and cotton items. But for delicate silk, as well as woolen products, this effective remedy is too aggressive.
Expert Advice to Using baking soda for whitening socks
Washing and bleaching clothes must be taken seriously. If you neglect simple recommendations, then you can ruin your favorite thing and injure the skin of your hands.
To avoid any negative points, you should adhere to the following tips:
- Gloves should be worn when using soda ash.
- Only use washing and bleaching solutions for fabrics for which they are suitable.
- If your homemade bleach contains vinegar and baking soda, be sure to wear gloves to avoid scalding.
- Use baking soda to remove pet urine odo
- does baking soda bleach clothes
- How To Get Foundation Out Of Clothes
Observing all the rules and recommendations, any white things and even socks will always have a beautiful well-groomed look. Use the above-described home remedies to whiten socks with baking soda.