What To Do If You Ate Mold? First Aid and Best Treatment

It is strictly forbidden to eat foods with mold. But colonies of mold are especially populated for some food products. These products include some types of cheese. All other types of fungi are poisonous to humans.

What To Do If You Ate Mold

Fungal colonies that enter the body along with affected food will not multiply.  Since the human body has unfavorable conditions for this, for example, there is not enough oxygen and the temperature is too high. But at the same time, the fungus continues to spread its spores for some time, which contain mycotoxins, which provoke the development of the process of general intoxication.

If even a small speck of mold has formed on the product, it is not enough to simply remove it, because the spores could already penetrate deeply into bread, pâté, sausage. If a person has eaten mold, such as a snack on moldy bread, the reaction may be minor and may result in a slight bowel disorder. But if a product was eaten that was heavily affected by fungal colonies, then health problems are inevitable. so let discuss what to do if you ate mold and treatments.

What To Do If You Ate Mold in food?

Some types of fungal infections have the conditional name quiet killer since they continue their vigorous activity in the human body ergot, fusarium. Spores of the fungus of these species are found on cereals, which means that bakery, pasta may well contain pathogenic microorganisms.

What happens if you eat mold? Mold infestation can cause health problems such as:

  • dermatitis;
  • cough;
  • eczema;
  • rhinitis;
  • conjunctivitis;
  • allergy;
  • asthma.

If a little mold gets into the body by accidental inhalation, then the colonies penetrate into the lungs, where there is enough air for the life and reproduction of the fungus. Sometimes molds and even growths are found in the lungs. And the spores, together with oxygen, spread throughout the body with the bloodstream.

First aid if you ate mold

What to do if I ate mold? If nevertheless, it so happened that a person swallowed mold fungi, then first aid measures must be taken:

  • provoke a gag reflex, which will clear the stomach of further exposure to toxins released by the fungus;
  • take any adsorbent (activated carbon);
  • refuse to eat for a while;
  • drinking water in large quantities – this speeds up the work of the kidneys, and the remains of the fungi will quickly leave the body;
  • it is advisable to drink a glass of juice or compote from sour berries.

These manipulations avoid the development of fungi in the human body. Accordingly, many diseases can be prevented.

Want to know Is Black Mold Dangerous To Humans?

treatment for eating moldy

treatment for eating moldy

Untimely assistance can lead to poisoning of the body with mycoses. To diagnose the cause of the poisoning is possible only on the basis of the results of laboratory tests. In order to eliminate the risk of developing severe complications, at the first signs of malaise with suspected mycosis, you should immediately consult a doctor and begin a course of treatment. Typically, treatment consists of several stages:

  1. Antifungal medicines.
  2. Supportive therapy aimed at normalizing the functioning of the liver, kidneys;
  3. Restoration of natural microflora in the intestine.

Also, the patient is recommended to adhere to a diet for some time, which consists in the exception of:
bakery products based on yeast;

  • dried fruits;
  • sugar-containing products (desserts);
  • fermented milk products;
  • some vegetables – beets, potatoes;
  • cereals (except for pearl barley and buckwheat porridge);
  • hard cheeses;
  • berries, fruits.

In this case, it is necessary to introduce the following food products into the regular daily diet:

  • ginger, horseradish, radish, onion, garlic;
  • infusions and teas containing pine needles or resin;
  • salting;
  • inhalation with tea tree oil and pine needles;
  • honey;
  • mineral water;
  • sour berries (dogwood, currants, cranberries, lingonberries, sea buckthorn);
  • grape, apple cider vinegar – one and a half teaspoons during the day;
  • organic antioxidants.

Achieve a complete and rapid recovery is possible only with an integrated approach to the treatment of mycosis, that is, a combination of a drug approach and adherence to the prescribed diet. But, even adhering to all the doctor’s recommendations, the treatment can last from six months to 3 years.

disease from eating mold

Accidental ingestion of even a small amount of fungus can cause intoxication symptoms triggered by mycotoxins:

  • nausea;
  • dizziness;
  • vomiting;
  • headache;
  • weakness;
  • stool disorder (diarrhea).

Frequent consumption of spoiled dishes can lead to the development of:

  • gastrointestinal diseases;
  • violations of the functional properties of the kidneys, intestines, liver;
  • pinpoint internal hemorrhages;
  • the accumulation of toxins causes cell mutations, as a result, oncological neoplasms.

It is extremely dangerous for children to get even a small amount of mold into the body. The development of the digestive organs is still not enough to cope with the attack of harmful substances, which easily penetrate into the bloodstream, which leads to serious complications.

Read Guide on How To Get Rid Of Black Mold Around Windows?

What kind of mold can you eat?

What kind of mold can you eat?

The types of mold colonies that do not pose a danger to humans include:

  1. Blue is the most commonly used fungus in the food industry. So, without this type of mold, the famous Roquefort cheese would not exist.
  2. Red is known to raw foodists-gourmets it adds spice to raw dishes, so moldy foods are made fragile, soft, tender.
  3. White is also common in the cheese making industry Camembert, Brie.

On the basis of blue and white fungal colonies, medicines are created – antibiotics. In addition, they are part of the drugs that are used in the treatment of cancerous lesions, AIDS. When eating products with noble types of fungus, the intestines normalize, the blood circulation process is improved, and the skin acquires freshness and youth.

Read Guide

Leave a Comment